Friday, April 30, 2010

Just Checking In...

Hey everyone, so I just thought I'd update you all on my preparations for the trip. I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to figure out the visa information. It's difficult because I'm never really sure I'm getting the right information. The websites all seem a little sketchy. I think I've got it worked out though. I will get a 30 day tourist visa when I enter the country. I will have to exit and re-enter the country before it expires, and then do the same thing in another 30 days. Kind of a pain, but luckily the city I'll be living in is right on the border. It's just a hop, skip and a jump into Burma and back again.


It still makes me a little nervous because I'm not 100% positive that I'm doing everything right. It also doesn't help that there's been so much political unrest in Bangkok lately. A couple of weeks ago my friend Jordan told me he hopes the government doesn't collapse while I'm there. EEK! Thanks for the comfort pal ;) Anyway, from everything I've read, it seems like it hasn't been a big problem for tourists. I'm not too worried about it. I just have to make sure I register with the US Embassy when I get there.

I also thought I'd excite you all with some pictures of where I'll be staying. Unfortunately, it's been hard to find pics that I could copy and paste. So you won't get to see where I'm going to live, but, courtesy of my fb pals who've already been there, you'll get to some some places that I will be working.

This is a nearby waterfall. Pretty much Thailand is the most beautiful place on earth.


And this these two are pics of a village where I'll be teaching.



2 comments:

  1. Um...if I were you, I'd be a bit more freaked out at the thought of going to Burma (Myanmar?) where the government already DID collapse. Haha, you're going to have a blast though! I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete