Friday, July 2, 2010

I made it!

It's been about 48 hours since I left Salt Lake and I've been in Bangkok for less than 24. You do the math. Despite my horrifically long flights, the trip here wasn't too bad. I watched plenty of movies and even slept a little. I arrived in Bangkok late last (Thursday) night. I had no trouble getting a taxi, although he did struggle a little finding my hotel. I'm staying at the Lub d hostel on Silom Road. From what I hear, this is a pretty nice place as hostels go. It's actually much nicer than some of the hotels I stayed at in Europe. Besides the bunk beds. However, the beds are surprisingly comfortable. It's no Marriott or anything, but I was expecting the worst. They are firm, but I don't mind that.

I tried to go to sleep as soon as I got in last night, but between the jet lag and having a cold, I didn't fare too well. The thing about the humidity is that my cough is a little better but my nose will not stop running. To be honest, I kind of feel like crap, so I just hung out and slept today. I ate at this Chinese restaurant. It was the best fried noodle thing I've ever eaten. I'm not sure what it was, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Thai because they brought me out chopsticks to eat with.

I have met some cool people hanging out at the hostel tonight though. Most of them are British or Scottish, but there's a few Americans in the mix. Ok, like 1 American and 1 Canadian. Strangely, no Europeans. I've been answering millions of questions about Utah and America. The vibe here is cool. Very relaxed. And people are really friendly. There are a lot of solo travelers, so people make friends pretty easily. They usually bond through alcohol. I think these people who travel the world for months on end are so awesome though. I don't think I could do it for that long, but I think I would like it for a while. I don't really mind being by myself because you really do meet people.

Tomorrow I think I'm going to take the sky train to the Grand Palace. It's supposed to be amazingly beautiful, but you have to wear pants so I'm dreading it a little. I was right about the heat, it's like 1000 degrees here and a million percent humidity. I seriously feel wet all the time. I can tell I'm getting used to it a little though because I don't feel like I'm going to die anymore. Seriously though, when I stepped out of my taxi last night my glasses fogged up. Silver lining: my skin has never been so soft.

I've only taken a few pictures so far. I only have some from tonight because I realized I didn't have any yet. So, for your viewing pleasure, you get to see me hanging out with all the random people from the hostel.

Me writing this blog with Patrick watching me. I have to give Patrick a shout out. He calls me Chelsea from Utah in California because he thought Utah was in California.

Friends at the hostel.

2 comments:

  1. i'm just so happy for you. that's all i can really say. . . other than i'm sorry i never got to formally wish you well. . . come home safe and well educated. i look forward to many more blog entries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh. I'm already so jealous! ahh.. I want to do something half that cool. go chel!

    ps I've never seen your hair so curly! I'm in shock. I wonder what mine would do? sick.

    ReplyDelete